Thursday 28 April 2011

Questions, Lots of Questions

I love how many questions children ask.
Note: when my child starts saying why? to everything I say, ask me if I still feel the same way.

I love how their questions involved a thought process my mind completely skips. I decided today was a good day for painting. I had purchased some glitter paint the other day with absolutely no intention on how, when, or what to use it for.

Today I put out paint with some of the glitter paint stirred in.

Child: "Maggie, why is there glitter in this paint?"
Me: "Well .. uhm ... uhm ... because I put it there."
Child: "Oh."

It was really that simple to me. I had truly given it no thought. When I went in the cupboard to get the paint I saw it there and added some in. Just because. I could tell from her response she was not satisfied with my answer; she already knew I put it there. I carried on ...

Me: "I thought maybe you would enjoy painting with glittery paint so I bought some glitter paint when I saw it at the store and today I mixed it in with our regular paint. It will make your picture shine and sparkle."

Child: "Yeah. I'm going to give this to my mom. I like glitter paint."

Much more satisfied. One of the many rewards of working with young children - they challenge you to think and explain rather than simply do.

No comments: