Saturday 30 April 2011

What's Your Mom's Name?

Ever asked 2, 3, and 4 years this question?

We were reading a book about why I love my mommy and then I needed to choose someone to blow out our story time candle so I said if your mom's name starts with an "S". They looked at me like I was crazy. So I went around the circle and asked the children what their mom's name was. Here were the responses ...

Child 1 - "Auntie Boo"
Child 2 & 3 - "Doctor"
Child 4 - "Mommy"
Child 5 -  "Well, my dad's name is *****"
Child 6 - "Mom is what I call her but her name is *****"

When I told them their mom's names, I received that same look as when I asked them who had a mom with an "S" name.

It was a great conversation about how everyone has a name and even though mom's are mom, they also have their own name just like us. I suppose I took it for grated that children would know their mom's name without hesitation because my son calls me/refers to me as Maggie frequently. That's what he has always heard from being around the daycare with me.

Advance apologies to those mom's who will now be beckoned by their first name :)

2 comments:

Conky said...

I recall that year where Ayla called me Jennifer...I thought it was funny! Some people get rather offended though...a few ppl couldnt understand why I did not correct her..

tamiko said...

Charlie has heard me calling his papa "Dave" several times, so now when he can't get papa's attention, he calls out "Dayyyyyyyy!" hahaha...