Thursday 28 April 2011

Thanks "T"

I have a child (previously in care) who is dropping in for a couple of weeks after school. He's in grade one now.

We had our ups and downs towards the end of the year in which he would begin kindergarten - he was outgrowing the program and with no other children his age enrolled at the time it was a challenge to meet his developmental needs without going far beyond the needs/level of readiness of the rest of the group. Naturally, this became very frustrating for him.

Today I met him at the door of the daycare and he was all out of breath. I said, "wow, did you run the whole way?" "Yep" he said, "do you want to know why?" I said, "sure." He said, "well, because then I have more time here."

Made my day.

(Note for his mom: I forgot to tell you. There was someone leaving with a stroller and very full hands when "T" arrived today and he opened the gate for her and waited to close it behind her. That made me smile too!)

No comments: